Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Photography

Last night's dream was one in which my identity was obscure.  The protagonist of the dream was an obnoxious, dirty blond teenager.  I followed her around throughout the dream, but I don't think I was her.  At the beginning of the dream, I was traveling somewhere by car.  The highways wove and split and turned and arced all over the place.  It seemed an industrial wasteland.  I had the sense that there was some sort of political conference or something going on.  When I arrived at the given place, there was a chain link fence surrounding a deep-set pond.  This was not to prevent drowning, but to prevent swimming in the polluted water.

Apparently I was at some sort of photography studio.  The girl I was with was crazy about photography.  In fact, most of the scenes in my dream would begin with me looking on a scene and simultaneously viewing a thumbnail image of the scene.  However, I found that these little glimpses I would get revealed that the photography was actually very poor.  I remember in particular looking at a picture that had this protagonist in the foreground placed in the center of a road, arms akimbo.  She was framed by branches on either side.  Both her and the branches were silhouetted, but the viewer could see color and depth of field around her and the limbs.  The branches took up so much of the picture plane, however, that the picture overall was far too dark.

I continued to travel with her through this place, learning about her.  She was interested in shopping, shoes, jewelry, and photography.  At some point I also met a group of her friends.  I know that there was more than this.  There was some underlying plot, some motivation she had for some action or some relational tension she needed to resolve.  However, it escapes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment