Saturday, July 9, 2011

It Takes a Village to Raise a Child


My dream last night was no doubt influenced by the upcoming fun day on the lake with my church.   In the dream, Sharla and I were going to go somewhere together.  We had been in some building that had the same layout of my childhood home, and I was supposed to meet her in the parking garage off the den.

While I was trying to leave, some blond 3-year-old boy threw his arms around me in a giant hug.  It was darling, and I had to work to get him separated from me.  Nearby was a 6-month-old girl dressed in a frilly, white dress with a lacy white hat.  She was propped up with pillows.  Another child was there also and did something disobedient.  I raised my hand as if to swat at her, but instead scolded her with my words.  Her parents saw and were very angry with me.

So how does that relate to a fun day at my church?  I think it relates because of the community experience at the church and the hope that every adult in the church would do their part in ensuring the godly upbringing of children.  Perhaps that’s not phrased well, but I recently awoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment