Friday, August 12, 2011

A Da Vinci Art Lesson of Epic Proportion

Last night had me in an Indiana-Jones esque cave.  I was suspended with another person above something like lava or acid.  Across from us was another pair suspended, and in between us was a the Mona Lisa.  It was the height of an action-film quandary.  Apparently all of us and the painting would be released at the same time to do battle over the painting before it or us were lost below.  Though I perceived the liquid to be caustic--somehow there was more concern that the painting would be sunk in the liquid than consumed.  As it was dropped, the painting shifted into Da Vinci's self-portrait and then into Botticelli's Birth of Venus.  There was a narrative going on about Da Vinci's life while these paintings shifted, and I wondered that they were suddenly showing a painting obviously done by Botticelli.  I then remembered that Da Vinci was influenced by Botticelli and had seen this painting.  I don't know (in real life) if this is true or not, though the timing makes it very possible.

Before I knew it I was out of the cave and outside.  I was sitting with my family and we were suddenly watching either an Indiana Jones film or The Lion King.  During the end credits, they showed a choir doing a gospel-version of Joy to the World.  It was the same rendition that my church sometimes sings at Christmas.  I was trying to get my father's attention to have him notice this particular arrangement of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment