Saturday, June 28, 2008

Office Episodes in Bottles and South America

Last night I dreamed that I went to South America on some type of missions trip with people from my school. I know that Joe Smith was there and also Dorene H.; everyone else was a blur. We were in Sao Paolo, but not Brazil. I think we were in Paraguay or Bolivia.

In my dream we were working with the kids. Apparently we were trying to teach them English, but we were doing so by showing them episodes of The Office. The episodes were stored in water bottles with a red tie around the cap. We hoped they would be interested in the episodes and seek to learn the meanings of words so they could understand the show.

Apparently the episodes were all burned copies and we didn't feel comfortable distributing them. However, the children fell in love with the show so much that they wanted our copies of the shows. We gave in and said our good byes.

For some reason, the kids came with us to the airport, and though they weren't coming back with us, we wanted to get them back through security for some reason. Dorene was at the head of the pack talking to the security guards. She left and that left me in charge.

In perfect English and accent, the guard asked me "Do you speak Spanish?"

"Yes, a little."

"Then you will do well to use as much of it as you possibly can."

So, I began in Spanish and delineated why we were in the country and who we were. I blanked and could not remember how to conjugate into anything other than the present tense. He was pleased with my answer and let us go, but not without taking my glasses. Later I saw another guard with a pair of glasses in his left hand and I asked him for them.

He gave me the glasses, which were sunglasses, and not my own at all. He said that it was much better for me to have some glasses than none.

And we went on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment