Monday, June 27, 2011

Childhood Dream Journal

"PRIVATE. FOR CHARITY'S EYES ONLY!"

This is what I wrote in pencil on the opening page of my Kittens Journal.  Yes.  Kittens.  I specifically recall receiving two such journals from my paternal grandparents at the end of my elementary years.  I had been crazy about books written journal/diary style and I was in possession of multiple journals.  Something in my 11-year-old mind decided to dedicate one of these journals to recording my dreams.  I have a glimmer of a memory--sitting on my day bed and writing out titles to cue me on which dreams I wanted to record.  Then I went for it.  I wrote down as many dreams as I could possibly remember in my first 11 years of life.

Reading through this journal, I came across themes: childhood crushes, tornadoes, childhood friends, and drama.  I was surprised to find that in many of my dreams I could stop a violent situation with just my words.  Anyhow, now if you go back into the archive to 1999, you will find 50 recorded childhood dreams.  Note the interesting vocabulary choices and the absence of the use of periods.  I made an effort to try not to correct myself and to leave the grammar, spelling, and capitalization as I wrote it in 1999.

Perhaps I will renew the vigor I had in '99 and take up the same task I took up then--writing those dreams down that I still have in memory but which I have never written down.  So it goes.  I hope you enjoy meandering through my mind this way.  I think certain themes come up that do reveal how I think and what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment