Saturday, July 5, 2008

Shoes and Bums

Wednesday night I dreamed that I was going with a bunch of NWC people to some conference. Also coming along was my maternal grandmother. We had to stay the night, but gma wanted to save money. So, my grandmother, eldest sister Heather, Dorene, various others and I decided to sleep on the sidewalk . . . right outside a hotel.

The hotel managers weren't too happy about that and made us get rooms. My grandmother said she used to live there, on account that it doubled as a permanent and temporal residence. The place was nice, everything in dark greens, maroons and antique browns. A two person room was $20.50; I recall this because Dorene were sharing a room and agreed to split the cost. In my wallet was a twenty, four ones, and a five. I found it rather inconvenient, and while I tried to figure a way to evenly split the cost, I was rushed to a shoe store.

It was the morning and Dorene and I were to head to the conference. Our only problem was that we needed black shoes. I was wearing black ballet slipper dress shoes--but one does not quickly notice this in a dream. Dorene and I looked around the store which seemed to contain only black shoes.

In my dream it seemed that Dorene and I were also to split the cost of the shoes and share them. This was before I realized I was wearing black shoes and thought it wouldn't work to share shoes when we needed them for the same event, simultaneously. More to the forefront of my mind, however, was the thought that Dorene had slightly smaller feet than me--a half size or so--and I wanted us to pick out a shoe in my size and not hers (I don't recall if Dorene has smaller feet or not in actuality).

I moved over to my size of shoes and saw a pair of black converse low-top sneakers. I thought they would be perfect. As I tried them on, they grew into chunky platform heels. Moreover, they grew beyond high tops and their mid-calf top was lined with black faux fur. It was at this moment that my dream self realized I had black shoes on my feet and ought to head to the conference, but man was that shoe a pain to take off!

No comments:

Post a Comment